I've been thinking a lot about experience in life. The Yin and Yang theory where you can't have something all bad or all good, there has to be a little of the other, otherwise you wouldn't know it was good or bad. For example, you have to have the bad experiences in life to appreciate the good. Then I started thinking about dichotomies in life, how everything has an opposite, looking at things from two perspectives. With cause and effect, how an experience can cause an effect, but then you could look at it from a different perspective and see the effect before realising the experience caused it. For example, something happens and you realise that experience has changed you, or, you think you have changed and then realise a certain experience cause that change (that effect). All the same you are still looking at the same experience. Its the way you look at an experience. Forward or backwards. Therefore I have decided to do my 1min video based on a poem written by my Mum, Robyn Dibben. Here it is:
A Beggars Circle
Here I am
In my chair
The world turns around me
...And no one cares
I'm alone
Though people are everywhere
Only a passing glance is given me
Except for the few that place a penny in my hat
I'm poor and blind
Except for the few that place a penny in my hat
Only a passing glance is given me
Though people are everywhere
I'm alone
...And no one cares
The world turns around me
In my chair
Here I am
In this poem the beggar can look at his experience in two different ways, depending on where he starts. It is like a spiral. He could start from within himself (the centre) and spiral out to see the wider world, or start with the world (the outside) and spiral in to find the himself. In both cases it is the same experience just looked at from different perspectives or starting points. This is like other theories such as "the chicken and the egg" which looks at the dichotomy of cause and effect. Which is the cause and which is the effect? Or the universal question are we the centre of the universe and the reason for everything or are we a small fraction of something much larger?
In my video I want to film it in a spiral style to match the poem. Therefore I was am going to start with a close up of an old man's eye/face ("Here I am"), then zoom out as each phrase is spoken. He will be sitting in a chair on a busy street etc. Then I want to play it backwards as the poem spirals back to the start ending on the eye.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment